Every week again... we're presenting another album of bands or singers we currently love. This week: Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship even Sank
Modest Mouse is an alternative rock band from the United States. The band was formed in 1993 in Washington and since then, they've released 6 albums. The album we're presenting, We were dead before the ship even sank, is currently their last album, released in 2007. This was the first album with their new guitarist, Johnny Marr, former guitarist of The Smiths.
Modest Mouse was rather inactive over the past few years, but the group states they're busy writing some new songs so we're looking forward to the new album!
1. March into the sea
3. Fire it up
5. Parting of the sensory
6. Missed the boat
7. We've got everything
8. Fly trapped in a jar
10. Little motel
11. Steam engenius
12. Spitting venom
13. People as places as people
Facts about the band:
1. The name of the band comes from a story by Virginia Woolf, called The Mark on the Wall: "I wish I could hit upon a pleasant track of thought, a track indirectly reflecting credit upon myself, for those are the pleasantest thoughts, and very frequent even in the minds of modest, mouse-coloured people, who believe genuinely that they dislike to hear their own praises."
2. We were dead before the ship even sank was the first Modest Mouse album that reached number one on the US billboard 200 charts
3. At age 11, the singer and guitarist of the band, Isaac Brock moved with his family to the quiet, suburban town of Issaquah, Washington. Here he met the other members of Modest Mouse, at that time all fan of The Three People, Talking Heads, The Beatles and the Pixies.
4. Modest Mouse released its debut album This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About in 1996 on Seattle's Up Records, an independent "anti-grunge" label.
5. In 2009, Rolling Stone named "Float On" 39th on its Best Songs of the 2000s list.
Curious? You'll find a music player at the top of this page!
Go to http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/modest-mouse/biography for more information.