Every week again... we're presenting another album of bands or singers we currently love.
This week: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die.
Okay so, although we think that almost everyone has heard at least one of her songs, we still want to present her album Born to Die, because even if it is very dark, it catches your attention and you want to hear it over and over again. Favourite Song? Diet Mountain Dew. Definitely.
2) Off to the Races
3) Blue Jeans
4) Video Games
5) Diet Mountain Dew
6) National Anthem
7) Dark Paradise
10) Million Dollar Man
11) Summertime Sadness
12) This is What Makes us Girls
13) Without you
15) Lucky Ones
Lana Del Rey, her real name being Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, was born in 1986 in New York City. Her interest in singing started when she began singing in the church choir. When she was 14 she was sent to boarding school, to deal with her alcohol dependence and returned home at the age of 18. She attended Fordham University in New York City and studied metaphysics. Her uncle taught her how to play the guitar and she started performing in nightclubs which became the start of her career. Her first CD came out in 2005 under her real name, Elizabeth Woolridge Grant, but it was not until 2010 that she became more famous with her first full-length studio album called Lana Del Rey A.K.A. Lizzy Grant. The same year Del Rey was featured by Mando Diao in their MTV Unplugged concert in Berlin.
After uploading tracks on her Youtube Channel, Del Rey was signed to Stranger Records to release her single Video Games and Born to Die was officially released worldwide in 2012.
She is currently working on her third studio album, saying that it is more stripped down than Born to Die.
1) Born to Die sold 3.4 million copies in 2012, making it the fifth-best-selling album of 2012.
2) Her song Young and Beautiful was featured on the soundtrack for the 2013 film The Great Gatsby.
3) The name "Lana Del Rey" comes from her time when she was going a lot to Miami and used to speak a lot of Spanish with friends from Cuba. It reminds her of the glamour of the seaside.
4) As her musical influences she names Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Anthony and the Johnsons, Bob Dylan Leonard Cohen and Eminem.
5) She is often featured on the Best-Dressed lists and is considered a style icon, paying homage to the sex symbols of the '50s and '60s.
Sources: Wikipedia, www.rollingstone.com, www.billboard.com
Curious? You'll find a music player at the top of this page!