Alt-J (also known as ∆) is an indie rock band formed in 2007 in Leeds, England. Their debut album An Awesome Wave was released in 2012.
"This album spans every workable idea, genre and influence that can be crammed under the guitar music umbrella, yet it never feels disorientating. Instead, what swoons gracefully through speakers is an entirely comprehendibla and accessible collection of beautiful pop songs." - Jen Long of BBC music
2. Interlude 1
5. Interlude 2
7. Dissolve me
11. Interlude 3
12. Blood flood
Facts about the band:
1. Pronounced as "Alt-J", the delta sign is created when you hold down the alt key on your computer keyboard and type 'J' on a Mac computer. The symbol has a deeper meaning for the band, because this symbol is used in mathematical equations to show change, and the band's new name came at a turning point in the lives of the artist.
2. Alt-J were formerly know as Daljit Dhaliwal and Films but they were forced to change the name because an American band called The Films already existed.
3. Fitzpleasure was used in the UK trailer for The Way, Way back, a movie directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, release date: October 2. (Watch the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldFg0M9aX8I ). The song was also used by Nokia in their commercial for the Lumia 925.
4. The album artwork for An Awesome Wave is a radar image of the Ganges river delta in Bangladesh, acquired by the European Space Agency.
5. The album won the British Mercury Prize in 2012.
Curious? You'll find a music player at the top of this page!